PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider to be your greatest achievement...???

Shamou
02-20-2009, 05:19 AM
What do you consider to be your greatest achievement... or greatest achievementS...???

What is it that you would like to be remembered for...???

Remember, it's not bragging if it's factual... this is a PD site and the best way to teach is through examples... so, if you have done something that you are particularly proud off... share it with us... it will inspire us to reach out... expand and grow...

Steve Gamlin
02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
That I have managed to surround myself with positive-minded people who inspire me to reach the milestones I never thought I'd have the courage to take on and win.

Have won numerous awards, but none are as rewarding as the person I have become while winning them.

With the help of many of these people, I have managed to create a life spent doing things for which I am passionate (speaking, writing, entertaining, giving).

:)

JEBWrench
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Keeping a roof over the head of my family.

Xanafax
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
10 years of my school life involved complex psychological and physical bullying that left me throughout that whole period feeling crippled and useless. it affected my health - my weight specifically, comfort eating mostly - my intellectual ability, I didn't feel confident enough to try my hardest, and my social ability - I had NO friends.

Two years ago I realised what had happened and decided to change.

Now I am doing well in my school work, I am friends with everyone, I meet new people all the time, I go to the gym three times a week and try and eat as healthy as possible. I have also read many many books on all aspects of personal development including moral, physical, dietary, monetary, business, spiritual and more...

Blackmirror
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
That i have raised 5 sons to adulthood without them being arrested ....

Well apart from a few minor teething problems when the hormones kicked in at 13/14

I count myself lucky i am still relatively sane ( thats non debatable Ray ) :LoL:

Jennihul
02-21-2009, 03:54 PM
One of my greatest achievements is remaining open-minded in the face of sincerely difficult odds growing up. I credit mom and dad.

One of my greatest achievements is getting past my self-inflicted limitations and astonishing myself with what is possible to learn if one assumes education is a never ending prospect.

Jennifer

Spider
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
What do you consider to be your greatest achievement... or greatest achievementS...???
Remember, it's not bragging if it's factual... this is a PD site and the best way to teach is through examples... so, if you have done something that you are particularly proud off... share it with us... it will inspire us to reach out... expand and grow....I don't agree. It IS bragging when it is factual. If it's not factual it's called lying! A brag (noun) is a pompous or boastful statement. To brag (verb) is to engage in self-glorification. I choose to not do either. Most of what anyone might want to know about me can be found on my website.

If you can't find it there, I probably ain't gonna tell you anyway! :D

Shamou
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Most of what anyone might want to know about me can be found on my website.

You should run for office... you have what it takes... :D

Jennihul
02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Bragging isn't bragging when people sincerely wish to know and ask you to talk about it. Then, it becomes hoarding and rude NOT to. ;)

Jennifer

Shamou
02-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Bragging isn't bragging when people sincerely wish to know and ask you to talk about it. Then, it becomes hoarding and rude NOT to. ;)

Jennifer

I don't see anything wrong with talking about our personal achievements if it's done in an open and truthful way... most achievers have done it in one way or another...

It might offend some people... but it's their problem and not mine... positive people like to see and hear about other's success... it motivates and inspires them... on the other hand, misery loves company... it's a fact... but not one that I will adhere to or contribute toward...

We are all God's children... He has given us life and the best way that we can show our gratitude and appreciation is by succeeding... who would ever want one of his child to be a failure...??? Certainly no "my" God...

Jennihul
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, with the extenuating circumstances here, especially when people ASK you to feel free to enlighten us, make it ok to toot your own horn.

Jennifer

Shamou
02-27-2009, 04:56 AM
One of my greatest achievements is getting past my self-inflicted limitations and astonishing myself with what is possible to learn if one assumes education is a never ending prospect.

Jennifer

So very well said...

Tony (Robbins) said, "Life is not biographical. The past does not equate the future..."

My Dad, bless his soul, never had the chance to get an education... he could barely read... but he was my hero... I wanted to be just like him... I did not want to be one of those "sissy" who spoke well... had a good education and looked down on people like my Dad... I wanted to be a "real man" who worked hard and could get by with their ingenuity...

Lucky for me, I was very competitive and I soon found out that muscle and ingenuity was no match for knowledge and education... I understood that if I was to excel, a solid education was absolutely necessary...

From that day on... life has been about learning... I may never overcome the handicap of having failed an early education but that is certainly not going to stop me from trying...

Saf1
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
In another forum, there was a thread about what we have accomplished in the last year, I will duplicate the post I wrote there:

I think the past year has been the most productive year of my life. This is because I started studying PD. In this year, I have managed with the help of god to do the following:

1) Marry the girl that I love. I had lots of different obsticles in my way. We had wanted to get married for 5 years.

2) Get rid of lots of lots of emotional baggage that was holding me back.

3) I have managed to finally not just win over depression, but to become happy

4) I have shared my newly learnt knowledge with my friends and they have reached a new level of success.

5) I decided not to settle for a rubbish pay. I suffered for some time, but now my rate has nearly doubled.

6) I haven't missed a prayer this year. I pray 5 times a day.

7) I have started jogging again.

8) I have gained lots of new knowledge

9) I have improved my relationship with money. I have become a great saver.

I'm sure there are more things that I have forgotten. I feel that the more I learn about PD, the more aware I become about my behavior, and the more in control of my life I become.

I hope every year is going to be as productive as this year :)

Steve Gamlin
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I hope every year is going to be as productive as this year :)

Howdy Saf1,

I think with the momentum you've got, and your drive, you may easily replace 'hope' with 'will'. It might creative a stronger definiteness of purpose.

Yes, no?? :)

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't agree. It IS bragging when it is factual. If it's not factual it's called lying! A brag (noun) is a pompous or boastful statement. To brag (verb) is to engage in self-glorification. I choose to not do either. Most of what anyone might want to know about me can be found on my website.

If you can't find it there, I probably ain't gonna tell you anyway! :D

The question is, what's the problem with bragging when it's factual?

Steve Gamlin
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Cannot remember the source, but I do recall hearing this:

"There's a saying, comes out of Texas: If you done it, it ain't braggin'."

For me personally, if someone is just trumpeting accomplishments and not providing substance or adding positive energy, that is not a good thing.

I have no problem with hearing the laundry list, as long as the person is still actively engaged in adding results and positivity to whatever he/she is engaged in.

I've seen people that sit around bragging on their personal triumphs (often from the far distant past), all the while complaining about everything that is going wrong around them, but do nothing to resolve or improve it.

Do they 'owe' the world anything? Perhaps not. However, if you're going to bring up your great accomplishments and talk about how you've 'won the game' over and over, maybe you can come off the bench one more time or at least share your playbook so the rest of us can share in a new win.

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
"There's a saying, comes out of Texas: If you done it, it ain't braggin'."

I knew there was something I liked about Texas. :D

... if you're going to bring up your great accomplishments and talk about how you've 'won the game' over and over, maybe you can come off the bench one more time or at least share your playbook so the rest of us can share in a new win.

Time spent listening to others talk is time not spent doing in the present.

Or put another way, the more you talk about it, the less you actually do it.

Saf1
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Howdy Saf1,

I think with the momentum you've got, and your drive, you may easily replace 'hope' with 'will'. It might creative a stronger definiteness of purpose.

Yes, no?? :)

Thanks for the extra motivation Steve. Let me rephrase. This year will be even more productive than the last year.

Spider
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
The question is, what's the problem with bragging when it's factual?I already said why I think it is distateful -- because bragging is pompous and boastful and means engaging in self-glorification.

Shamou
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I already said why I think it is distateful -- because bragging is pompous and boastful and means engaging in self-glorification.

Then what are you doing in Texas which is the bragging Capital of the world...??? :D

MidasGirl
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Remember, it's not bragging if it's factual... this is a PD site and the best way to teach is through examples... so, if you have done something that you are particularly proud off... share it with us... it will inspire us to reach out... expand and grow...

I have to agree with Spider. Most of us are so full of hubris we can't help but brag about our achievements, but only because they are so small we must inflate them by talking about them to anybody that will listen. Can you imagine asking this question of Mother Teresa? She probably would have given you the finger. :LoL:

That said, my greatest achievement has been staying sane. Or at least I think I'm sane.

Blackmirror
02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
That said, my greatest achievement has been staying sane. Or at least I think I'm sane.
Are we sane ??
Who knows :LoL:

Shamou
02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Most of us are so full of hubris we can't help but brag about our achievements, but only because they are so small we must inflate them by talking about them to anybody that will listen.

It has been my experience that there are two types of people in the world... the ones who are succeeding and those who have not enjoyed it yet...

I have yet to meet a successful person who was not happy to hear about other's success... since they know that success begets success and that there are plenty of places to be successful to go around so that other's success does not take anything away them...

On the other hand, people who have never enjoyed an acceptable level of success tend to take the stance that life is a zero sum up proposition... that is, if someone gets something... someone else has to lose... sorry... but it does not work that way...

Success produces value and value profits everyone...

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I already said why I think it is distateful -- because bragging is pompous and boastful and means engaging in self-glorification.

You'll find that the most 'successful' people do a whole lot of that.

Especially in the business world - it's really good to rile up your competition, because not many people can handle being presented with facts.

Sure, you can sugar-coat it, but it's all self-glorifying.

But if you aren't worthy of glorifying yourself, then you shouldn't glorify anyone else either.

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Can you imagine asking this question of Mother Teresa? She probably would have given you the finger.

That would be pretty funny to see, actually.

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Then what are you doing in Texas which is the bragging Capital of the world...??? :D

Have you even been to Montréal? :p

MidasGirl
02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
On the other hand, people who have never enjoyed an acceptable level of success tend to take the stance that life is a zero sum up proposition... that is, if someone gets something... someone else has to lose... sorry... but it does not work that way...

Yeah. I'm hoping that's not what you got from my comment though. Talking about how successful one is has nothing to do with how much they are enjoying being successful. Bragging.......I dunno.....maybe I do it and don't even realize it. But I'd rather be surprised.....like recently I was surprised to discover a guy on SV was a millionaire.....somebody I'd never have thought of. But now that I look back, he's just very confident in who he is, versus telling every one how successful he is.

But still, I'm not sure why you thought I'd think that one being successful takes away from another. Far from it. I don't even believe in competition in the strict sense of the word.

Spider
02-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Then what are you doing in Texas which is the bragging Capital of the world...??? :D .I'm trying to teach Texans how to let the world know how fabulous they are without bragging.

Blackmirror
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to teach Texans how to let the world know how fabulous they are without bragging.

When i think of Texas i think of http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/blackmirror111/Copyofdesperatedan.jpg

:D

Spider
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
You'll find that the most 'successful' people do a whole lot of that....You may find that. I have found the opposite.

...Especially in the business world ......especially not in the business world.

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 07:28 PM
You may find that. I have found the opposite.

...especially not in the business world.

Care to give an example?

(I'll give mine after a bit. I'm cooking.)

Go ahead, you show me yours, I'll show you mine. :p

Steve Gamlin
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
As a professional speaker, I have an introduction people read to bring me up at seminars, etc. In it are some of my recent accomplishments. These are included to set me apart from my competition and to lend credibility to me as a speaker.

Honest question: Would anyone consider this bragging?

MidasGirl
02-27-2009, 08:41 PM
As a professional speaker, I have an introduction people read to bring me up at seminars, etc. In it are some of my recent accomplishments. These are included to set me apart from my competition and to lend credibility to me as a speaker.

Nope.

By the way, let me make my position clear on this.....because I know my first post was sort of flippant -- on purpose.

I think its perfectly ok to share one's success. Its not so much the sharing, it's how it's done. In which case it just makes it a subjective opinion for me, where I'm either turned off or let it go. Or even appreciate it.

I like it when people share their success as a way to inspire others -- in which case it would be accompanied by sharing how exactly they did it. In an effort to help those wishing to try and duplicate. Steve Pavlina (Shamou's nemesis:p) does this a lot. And I've never felt he was bragging.

The kind I'm talking about are the ones who seem like they are trying too hard to impress upon their "success". The Donald Trumps etc. Makes one wonder if they aren't making up for something.........

Blackmirror
02-27-2009, 08:47 PM
If theres one type of person that really gets my goat up is a person who has had everything handed to them on a silver platter from their family
They rub it in at every opportunity

I had a friend who did that

She is now an ex friend as i dont have time for selfish self absorbed bullshitters:mad:

Shamou
02-27-2009, 09:09 PM
But still, I'm not sure why you thought I'd think that one being successful takes away from another. Far from it. I don't even believe in competition in the strict sense of the word.

Sorry if you got the sense that these words were addressed to you...

You have to understand that when guys like Barack and I talk... our messages are not addressed to anyone in particular but to the world at large... :LoL:

But, seriously, I was quoting you but I certainly did not have you in mind when I mentioned the sum zero game theory... honest... :)

JEBWrench
02-27-2009, 09:19 PM
In it are some of my recent accomplishments. These are included to set me apart from my competition and to lend credibility to me as a speaker.

Of course not. You're having someone else toot your horn. ;)

It is self-glorification, it is playing up your experiences and strengths for your benefit, and it is perfectly wonderful behaviour. :D

Spider
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Care to give an example? ... Not really. I was talking generally and so were you, I think. Sure we could each come up with examples to contradict each, but to what purpose?

Spider
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Honest question: Would anyone consider this bragging?Depends how it is written. If it is written to convey a boastful, pompous air and read in that manner, yes. If it is written to inform and read in that manner, no. Besides, you have a little more leeway as someone else is reading your introduction, but it would still be possible to appear a braggard if that is how the intro is written and read.

It's not difficult to write it to convey a factual, even humble manner. No-one, I think, would consider a résumé bragging.

Shamou
02-28-2009, 12:02 AM

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to hear all the great names on the motivational talk circuit... the Zig Ziglar, Tremendous Jones, Doctor Robert A. Schuller, Ira Hayes, Tony Robbins, Mark Victor Hansen... etc... and none of them were shrinking violets...

You don't inspire people by showing what a schmuck you are... nobody wants to hear a bald man on how to grow hair... and nobody wants to hear about motivation from someone who's on Prozac... you have to dare to be great... and dare to show it...

So, you go my friend... stand up and be an example... and not only on how you talk with people but also in the way that you present yourself...

Jennihul
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Ok, semantics lovers....here is what I am hearing in this post:

Bragging is something you do when you want to highlight your accomplishments in a way that 1) makes other people feel somehow smaller and 2) inflates your ego for the purpose of making you feel bigger than you are.

The opposite end of this pole, and the acceptable and honorable side, would be people who are:

1) ASKED BY OTHERS to highlight their accomplishments for the purpose of sharing success advice and "how-tos."

2) Staying true to the purpose of this forum which is to share success and learn about success and personal development which would be pretty tough to do without examples of how other people do it whether those examples are your own or someone elses.

Now, can we move on?

Jennifer

Spider
02-28-2009, 04:48 PM
...Now, can we move on? I didn't realize were weren't already moving on. Steve asked a question. People answered him. To me that is moving on.

Except that you obviously had more to say, Jen, and apparently supposed we were waiting for your final pronouncement. I must have missed that part. :D

Jennihul
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I just wasn't getting that the gist of this thread was being accomplished. I was looking forward to some enlightenment... not another argument about the meaning of a particular word.

You certainly aren't required to participate, Spider, but at least get out of the way.

Jennifer

cubfan1937
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
My son.

Spider
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I just wasn't getting that the gist of this thread was being accomplished. I was looking forward to some enlightenment... not another argument about the meaning of a particular word.
You certainly aren't required to participate, Spider, but at least get out of the way. Well, it is certainly a huge compliment to be told that my posts are so awe-inspiring that they are blocking the path for someone as great as you, Jen :LoL:

Jennihul
02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, it is certainly a huge compliment to be told that my posts are so awe-inspiring that they are blocking the path for someone as great as you, Jen :LoL:

That's exactly what I meant. Awe.

Jennifer

Shamou
02-28-2009, 07:03 PM
My son.

Whenever you post something that relates to the thread you should issue a warning... since it is so rare in this site... it can be quite confusing... :D

Jennihul
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Whenever you post something that relates to the thread you should issue a warning... since it is so rare in this site... it can be quite confusing... :D

I know. Dayum. I had to sit and think for a sec there.

Jennifer

Shamou
03-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Not that I take full credit for it, but one of my greatest achievement was to help maintain the level of magic that Danielle and I enjoy together even after twenty six years...

Though we are not married, she still is my bride and I still see her as the seventh wonder of the world... and I know that she is happy with me and happy to be with me...

I will readily admit that I deserve no credit for that achievement... I simply did what came naturally and I was blessed with finding the ideal mate for me... some guys are luckier than others... that's all...

Steve Gamlin
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
And I know you well enough to know that you probably don't believe it was just 'luck'. ;)

Shamou
03-25-2009, 03:31 AM
And I know you well enough to know that you probably don't believe it was just 'luck'. ;)

Nice of you to say that Steve but luck did play a very important role in my life... as a matter of fact it probably played a great role in the life of everyone who reads these words...

How lucky were we to be born with the capacity to see, hear and talk... to have been born in a developed country... to have been able to make it so far... to be in a relatively safe environment... etc...

The list could go on and on... but we rarely think about that... we are often to obsessed with the things that we don't have to be grateful for the things that we do have...

It has been my experience that gratefulness begets abundance... seems that it never fails... :)

EPL
03-25-2009, 05:59 PM

My greatest achievement occurred the day I realized that I knew so little. I went from being very "smart" :LoL: with strong opinions on just about any subject, to becoming completely open, realizing that I didn't know anything at all. Everything was just my perspective on that subject and it didn't make it reality. Now I am a lot more open to other people's perspective even when they differ greatly from my own. The minute I realized that I didn't "know" anything, I was able to truly start to learn something new which ironically, still doesn't make me any smarter, on the contrary, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much. :laugh:

Eric

NICKG
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Greatest achievement? Probably not great and many achieved more but
overcoming my fear of death in the face of combat was a personal satisfaction.
My missions were difficult but not too terribly so. Any sacrifices I made were
nothing compared to some who made the ultimate sacrifice for country.
I merely put duty first and foremost above any other feelings. I took orders
and carried them out to the best of my abilities. I had a lot of help.
I survived. Some did not.....many did not. Some died there and didn't even
know it till much later. I'm proud to have been a part of it and to have served
my 18 months.
Support Our Troops!!:thumbup::peace:

Shamou
04-09-2009, 03:24 AM
My greatest achievement occurred the day I realized that I knew so little. I went from being very "smart" :LoL: with strong opinions on just about any subject, to becoming completely open, realizing that I didn't know anything at all. Everything was just my perspective on that subject and it didn't make it reality. Now I am a lot more open to other people's perspective even when they differ greatly from my own. The minute I realized that I didn't "know" anything, I was able to truly start to learn something new which ironically, still doesn't make me any smarter, on the contrary, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much. :laugh:

Eric

That's a lesson that we all need to learn Eric... it's called wisdom...

The minute that we admit that we don't know everything is the instant that we start to learn and grow... at 17 I knew everything... I'm still cocky... but i'm working on it... :D

Shamou
04-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Greatest achievement? Probably not great and many achieved more but
overcoming my fear of death in the face of combat was a personal satisfaction.

That is no small feat Nick... you have reasons to be proud... I never had to face death... but I honestly shudder at the thought of what my reaction would be...